Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Beautiful Rain and our First Harvest of the year on Sasserfrass Hill

It has been a hot spring this year. We got 1 1/2 inches of rain from hurricane Beryl last week. It sprinkled a little this morning and a front cooled things down to a comfortable 70 degrees. I was going to check my hives on Monday and again this morning but the rain changed my plans.
I should have honey ready for harvest. I hope to check tomorrow and if it is capped off I will bring the frames inside, extract it and put the super back on the hive by the afternoon. 
Last week Mama helped me extracted one honey super. We got about 36 pounds of honey from ten frames.
This is one of the frames we extracted.
We hope for a big harvest this spring. I am excited to see if the girls have capped off the frames since I checked last week. 

                                                Liquid gold from the first harvest of the year.

 We bought jars and mama put them in the dishwasher, I ordered labels from Brushy Mountain on the 15th of  May and I am still waiting for them to arrive....not very efficent turn around time, I will look for a better source.
We have been busy checking some of my bees in another bee yard. All seems well with them.

I am off to squish hive beetles.
Bee Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment