Thursday, March 19, 2009

Girls Gone Wild !!


Things are really buzzing along on Sasserfrass Hill.

Yesterday I found a swarm of bees on a lantern in my dogwood tree about three feet off the ground. I balanced a new hive on my wagon and pulled it over to the swarm. I called Mr. Charlie (my mentor) he came over and laid the lantern inside the hive. He covered it with a black plastic bag (to keep it dark) and we waited for the girls to settle down and go down into the hive from the lantern. Rick leveled another hive stand in the garden and late yesterday we gingerly put the hive on the stand. I was really happy I found the swarm and was able to get the bees safely inside a new hive This makes seven hives for Sasserfrass Hill. Last week I lost a large swarm after they settled in the top of a giant oak.

I have been painting and assembling hives so hopefully next time the girls swarm I will be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment